Friday 28 March 2014

Is 411.ca a Scam?

I kind of knew business directories are a thing of the past but it doesn’t hurt to test my assumptions, but I was very wrong… IT DOES HURT TO TEST THINGS OUT. The directory, in this case, 411.ca did not bring in leads or traffic or SEO boost but that’s not a big issue, I knew these were false but for under $200, I wanted to test it out anyway and worst case, it would make for a good blog post.

Well I never would have thought about it but a sales rep from 411.ca contacted me from an advertisement I had posted on Kijiji. I figured “why not”… But fast forward to today, I have tried to cancel the “subscription” many times, well within their “30 day” trial period and a YEAR later I get a legal letter from a collection agency claiming over $1500!? WTF indeed!

So please folks, avoid this scam like it was the plague. In fact, the plague may be easier to deal with. Here's the end result that sparked this web page! Keep in mind, I received ZERO letters, ZERO invoices, ZERO calls, NOTHING from them in regards to this prior to the collections email. Please share your stories here: 411scammedme@gmail.com



March 28, 2014 - Collections?




July 17, 2013

Here's my first of many cancellation emails (calls as well) I was meaning to send a registered letter but I never thought it would escalate to this! I asked Fayez to email me the  confirmation of what he promised me. I have the conversation recorded (I suspected it was a scam) for future legal action if needed. You can see in his reply a few days later in this chain.


August 1st, 2013

My response to Fayez's email, it didn't look like he was trying to cancel the account for me, asking me a question. I was wondering if he was pretending to be illiterate but I kept my cool anyway. AGAIN, TRYING TO KEEP ME ON, not responding to my polite requests.
 

August 6, 2013

I think it's pretty damn clear by now? I mean it's not rocket science... I was literally screaming at my screen at this point and tried my best to keep my cool. At some point, I felt like visiting their head office to meet this person and congratulate him on "sticking to it".


Nothing?

From that point on... I got ZERO acknowledgement of the cancellation but after MANY emails (not outlined in this story) and phone calls. I put this on the sideline figuring they got the message. I did however change my credit card number to prevent automatic charges. I figured they'd send me an invoice or call or send over some emails or something... I got NOTHING but, a year later, a collection agency?





1 comment:

  1. Same thing happened to me. It was a billing error. I cancelled about 6 months ago but, as the customer service agent explained, a computer glitch kept creating invoices. Not a big deal, since the account was cancelled, but then the new agency they hired to collect on delinquent accounts didn't filter out cancelled accounts. Apparently this affected 1000's of customers. Call them, they will sort it out.

    ReplyDelete